If you’ve recently completed teeth whitening treatment, you’re probably wondering how easy it is to maintain the shine on your teeth. The truth is, it isn’t easy. There are many causes of discolouration such as poor oral hygiene, medication, ageing and even genetics. A key reason discolouration forms on teeth is due to your diet and the food and drink you consume daily. After teeth whitening treatment, this can certainly become an issue.
Discolouration occurs when stains damage the outer enamel and tartar begins to build. In turn, this leads to teeth becoming darker in shade. Teeth whitening isn’t a preventative measure to stop discolouration. Therefore, it is important that as a tooth whitening patient, you avoid certain food and drink to keep teeth white for longer.
Avoid These Foods
Consider either consuming the following foods in moderation or avoid altogether to keep your teeth white:
- Hot Drinks – Hot drinks such as coffee and tea will no doubt darken the shade on teeth. These are regularly consumed as part of daily rituals for many people. Either you consider reducing the consumption of hot drinks and consider adding milk to it or change how you drink it by not allowing the liquid to touch your teeth. Your local dentist will happily provide drinking tips. The acidic elements damage your tooth enamel and darken the shade.
Read here for tips to keep tooth enamel strong
- Dark Fruits – Dark fruits such as pomegranate and berries are major culprits for staining teeth. They damage the outer enamel leading to staining. Avoid them to keep your teeth white. If you’re a fruit fan, consider rinsing the mouth immediately after eating.
- Sauces – This may not be a welcome read for most, but sauces are another culprit for staining teeth. Sauces such as soy, Worcester, tomato and even gravy include the properties that stain teeth. To keep your teeth white, if these are consumed then rinse the mouth after your meal to avoid particles staying stuck as this can lead to plaque build-up. However, it is recommended that sauces are avoided.
- Sodas – Sodas typically contain natural sweeteners which are very bad for teeth. This even includes diet options. Its acidic ingredients are expected to stain teeth and cause the enamel to erode quickly. Again, you can consider consuming them in moderation and learn the technique of consuming the liquids without it touching teeth. However, don’t expect this to guarantee to keep your teeth white.
- Tobacco Products – It is common knowledge that smoking and tobacco products are damaging to overall health, but did you know it can stain teeth? Tobacco and smoking products have the same effect on enamel. It can be difficult to halt smoking altogether but attempt to reduce as soon as you’ve completed teeth whitening treatment.
One of the major causes of tooth discolouration is the food and drink you consume. The last thing you want to do is spend your hard-earned money on teeth whitening treatment and not make it worth it. You may seek further advice from your local dentist who can provide further advice on diet and lifestyle to keep your teeth shiny for longer.
If you’re seeking further support on maintaining white teeth after teeth whitening treatment, contact us here and we’d be happy to help.